Jobs with the Colorado Education Association
UniServ Director - West Central Colorado UniServ Unit
West Central Colorado UniServ Unit
Announcement of Vacancy for UniServ Director
Office: 2472 Patterson Ave #13
Grand Junction, CO 81505
The West Central Colorado UniServ Unit is seeking qualified candidates for the position of UniServ Director.
Date of Posting: June 8, 2023 Closing Date: Until Filled
West Central Colorado UniServ Description: The WCCU is located in scenic west central Colorado, near national parks and forests, ski areas, and numerous outdoor activity opportunities. The office is centrally located in Grand Junction and is staffed with one UniServ Director, one Organizer, and one Office Manager/Organizer who are hired by and responsible to the WCCU UniServ Council.
WCCU is a local option UniServ Unit encompassing nine active local associations and whose members include public education teachers, classified employees, and other professionals. The two largest associations have Collective Bargaining Agreements for their members. Other associations have varying rights to “meet and confer” according to district policies. Current WCCU membership is approximately 1,400 and there are 2,600 potential members. In addition to membership growth, there are opportunities for organizing additional locals.
Required Qualifications, Critical Attributes, Behaviors, and Skills:
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Public educator with a minimum of five years’ experience in K-12 schools preferred.
- Union membership experience and knowledge.
- Governance, leadership, and political organizing experience.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Good listening skills are a must.
- Knowledge in the areas of labor relations, grievance processing, and member advocacy.
- Proven experience in leader/member training.
- Excellent volunteer and membership recruitment skills for increasing member involvement.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to work well with people from varied backgrounds and positions in a conservative based, rural environment.
- Proficiency in the use and implementation of computers.
- Experience as an effective organizer in membership, collective bargaining, traditional and interest-based facilitation, and political issues.
- Knowledge of education reforms, and political issues affecting public schools, preferably in Colorado.
- Be able to understand a budget and adhere to fiscal policies.
- Experience in community relations and community coalition building.
- Experience in contract negotiations and member advocacy.
- Ability to anticipate organizing opportunities and future organizational trends.
- Association leadership experience preferred.
Characteristics and Strengths:
- Self-starter with a strong work ethic.
- Strong personal and professional characteristics such as flexibility, integrity, time management, assertiveness, decisiveness, and a sense of responsibility.
- Ability to work effectively with limited supervision and to be an effective team player.
- Proven ability to use good judgment in decision-making.
- Open to new ideas and the ability to function effectively in an environment of change.
- Proven people skills, a sense of humor, and a “can do” attitude.
- Committed advocate for all association members and their needs as public education employees.
The primary responsibilities for this position are to work effectively with local association leaders in key program areas: organizing, membership recruitment/retention, community/political organizing, member advocacy, contract negotiations/maintenance, and leadership development/training. Additionally, the UniServ Director will be responsible for maintaining an effective working relationship with State CEA staff/leaders. The UniServ Director acts as the corporation manager and chief administrative officer of the Unit.
The UniServ Director position involves regular travel up to two hours away from the office, with periodic trips to the Front Range. Additional expectations include frequent evening and weekend work.
Compensation and Benefits:
Starting salary range of $70,000 to $120,000 based upon qualifications and experience. A range of fringe benefits include health and retirement packages, life and disability coverage, and paid holidays, vacation, and sick leave. Expenses and automobile allowance are negotiated as part of the employee contract.
Applications will be accepted through July 3, 2023. Interviews will take place in July, with employment to begin by September 1, 2023.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and professional references from a colleague, supervisor, and a union leader to:
West Central Colorado UniServ
Attention: Amy Sue Javernick
2472 Patterson #13
Grand Junction, CO 81505
West Central Colorado UniServ Unit is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We actively encourage people of color, women, individuals who identify as LGBTQ+ or gender non-conforming, people living with disabilities, veterans, and bilingual people to apply.
Jobs with the National Education Association
The National Education Association and other affiliates across the country are frequently looking to hire for a variety of positions.