Jobs with the Colorado Education Association
Posting Date: December 22, 2022
Closing Date: February 3, 2023 (5:00 p.m. MST)
The Colorado Education Association is the largest union of educators in the state with more than 39,000 K-12 teachers, higher ed faculty, and education support professionals, as well as students preparing to become teachers, and retired educators. Our mission is to work collectively to provide the best public education for every student.
The Colorado Education Association is seeking qualified applicants for a Staff Attorney position.
The Colorado Education Association is an equal opportunity employer. We actively encourage people of color, women, individuals who identify as LGBTQ+, or gender non-conforming, people living with disabilities, veterans, and bilingual people to apply for open external positions at CEA. CEA is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. CEA will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, or age.
The Staff Attorney is a Denver based position. CEA is currently operating in a hybrid work environment.
Essential Qualifications for the Position:
• Bachelor’s degree
• Demonstrated use of sound professional judgment
• Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communications skills
• Knowledge of organizing principles and ability to develop and implement organizing plans
• Proficiency in advanced computer technologies
• Ability to work in a team environment
• Conflict resolution skills
• Understanding of member-based organizations
• Project planning and management skills
• Ability to effectively manage multiple priorities and manage time and financial resources
• Ability to work with minimum supervision
• Willingness and ability to expand knowledge and skills in a rapidly changing environment
• Training and presentation skills
• Ability to build and maintain effective working relationships with staff and leaders
• Willingness and ability to advocate for the membership and goals of the organization
Essential Qualifications for the Assignment:
• JD from ABA accredited law school
• Member in good standing of the Colorado state and federal bar
• Valid Colorado driver’s license and auto insurance in compliance with the rules and regulations of the state of Colorado
• Proficiency in advanced computer technologies including, but not limited to, Microsoft Office 365, Microsoft Teams, Power Point, SharePoint, Document Management Software, and Google Docs and working knowledge of social media
• Minimum five years of combined litigation experience (preparing case, trying case and post-trial appeals) in administrative courts, state (civil and criminal) and federal courts, and appellate courts
• Demonstrated knowledge of state and federal public education law, labor law, employment law, administrative law, and state criminal law and procedures
• Demonstrated ability to independently manage all timelines for filing lawsuits, administrative proceedings, pleadings, and discovery
• Demonstrated ability to maintain comprehensive trial skills that include conducting trials, arbitrations, discovery, depositions, testimony, oral arguments, and writing trial pleadings in appellate practice at the state and federal appeals courts
• Demonstrated ability to learn powerful trial advocacy skills and become an advocate who holds strong union values and is committed to support organizational mission.
• An understanding about issues related to systemic racism and social justice and a commitment to advance diversity and social justice
• Work collaboratively with staff attorneys, paralegals, members, field staff, and local leaders to ensure cases are properly prepared
• Provide the Association with formal legal opinions
• Effectively handles and responds to variety of member related calls through the Officer of the Day legal program
• Present trainings to state and local leaders and members on a variety of legal issues that affect members and the organization
• Other duties as assigned by the General Counsel
Compensation and Benefits
This is a bargaining unit position with a salary range of $70,750 to $128,058 based upon prior experience. Fringe benefits include auto allowance; liberal vacation and sick leave; holidays; health, dental, disability, and life insurance; defined contribution retirement benefit and 401(k) plan.
To complete an application, please visit the CEA career opportunities website – https://form.jotform.com/223555300438148 .
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis but must be received by CEA by 5pm (MST), February 3, 2023.
The letter of interest that you will be asked to submit should be addressed to General Counsel at:
Colorado Education Association
1500 Grant Street
Denver, Colorado 80203
Jobs with the National Education Association
The National Education Association and other affiliates across the country are frequently looking to hire for a variety of positions.