2023 LEGISLATIVE AGENDA
CEA’s legislative agenda is one that puts students first and addresses the challenges we, as educators are facing. We invite legislators to work with and listen to us when considering education-related legislation that supports student-centered learning, ensures professional excellence and makes economic investments in public education.
The solutions below are educator-designed and educator-driven. These policy solutions are rooted in our commitment as educators from across the state and across every identity, to ensuring safe and welcoming schools where each and every student can thrive, have the freedom to be themselves, and become successful citizens in our diverse and interconnected world. CEA is committed to dismantling inequitable and racist structures and systems of oppression, to ensure that we don’t leave our most vulnerable students behind.
POLICIES WE ARE PRIORITIZING DURING THE 2023 LEGISLATIVE SESSION:
- Completely buy down the BS Factor to $0, fully funding our schools to the amount required by the constitution
- Identify and implement long-term systemic solutions to sustainably and adequately fund our public schools
- Address housing supply and affordability so that educators can afford to live and work in their communities
- Address the Educator Shortage through policies that attract and retain high-quality public education employees
- Start a process to reimagine a holistic accountability system, with educators and experts in the field leading the effort to design a system that serves the students and educators of Colorado
- Pass the Interstate Teacher Mobility Compact, allowing teachers to use an eligible license held in another state to get an equivalent license in Colorado, lowering the barriers and getting teachers back into the classroom more seamlessly
- Protect public sector workers when they speak up about working conditions
- Ensure that Governor Polis’ proposed Office of School Safety is created with input from educators and prioritizes student and educator mental health supports and resources
- Pass stronger gun safety regulations to keep our schools and communities safe, including banning automatic assault rifles
- Maintain and increase state funding for school breakfast and lunch programs and other programs that assist families in raising healthy children