Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Colorado Takes Further Action to Address Public Health Threat of COVID-19

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 18, 2020

DENVER – Today Governor Jared Polis provided an update on the state’s response to COVID-19 and announced new executive actions to protect the health and safety of Coloradans. Earlier today at a news conference, Governor Polis announced the launch of the Help Colorado Now effort where Coloradans can donate or volunteer, as well as the Colorado COVID Relief Fund, which has already raised nearly $3 million to help Coloradans impacted by the coronavirus.

“We are acting boldly and swiftly together to protect the health and safety of all Coloradans. The science and data tells us this will get worse before it gets better,” said Governor Jared Polis.“We are in this together and the state is taking the necessary actions to slow the spread of this disease.”

The Governor signed an executive order suspending in-person learning in public and private schools across the state from March 23 to April 17. The executive order directs Colorado school districts and the Charter School Institute to make every effort to provide alternative learning opportunities during this time while taking into account the needs of local communities. This order also directs the Commissioner of Education to issue guidance to support P-12 school systems in developing and implementing plans to assist families and students in accessing alternative learning, providing free and reduced lunch and breakfast, and offering waivers for instructional time as appropriate. Click here to read.

“Protecting the health of all Coloradoans is our top priority, and moving to online learning and other ways to support learning at home is absolutely the right thing to do,” said Education Commissioner Katy Anthes.“We know school leaders, educators and families will have a lot of questions about how to support their students’ learning at home during this unprecedented time. The department is working on guidance and developing resources to support our schools and students, and it will be available very soon.”

The Governor also announced that he would be extending the suspension of downhill ski area operations through April 6. COVID-19 has spread throughout many mountain communities where ski resorts are located and this is a necessary step to help slow the spread of the virus. Last week, the Governor issued an executive order suspending ski area operations until March 22. Click here to read the order.

In accordance with CDC guidelines, the Colorado Department of Public Health also issued a public health order prohibiting gatherings of more than 10 people. Gatherings include community, civic, public, leisure, faith-based events, sporting events with spectators, concerts, conventions, fundraisers, parades, fairs, festivals or any similar event that brings more than 10 people together. Click here to read.

Coloradans can donate or sign up to volunteer at www.HelpColoradoNow.org.


Originally from Governor of Colorado website (https://www.colorado.gov/governor/news/colorado-takes-further-action-address-public-health-threat-covid-19).

Press Release: Closing All Schools Necessary to Keep Students Safe, Prevent Further Virus Spread

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

March 17, 2020

DENVER – Despite new federal guidance released today to limit public gatherings to 10 people, more than half of Colorado school districts have yet to announce plans to close. Having any schools open while the COVID-19 virus continues to spread unnecessarily puts the health of students, educators and the public at risk, according to the Colorado Education Association.

“Governor Polis has taken decisive steps to ensure the safety and health of Coloradans by making tough decisions to temporarily close down restaurants, bars, casinos, gyms, breweries and coffeehouses. Yet there has been no order or recommendation to Superintendents to close down Colorado’s public schools for public health and safety as we have seen happen in other states,” said CEA President Amie Baca-Oehlert, a high school counselor.“Today we call on the Governor and the Superintendents of schools that have yet to close to put the health and safety of students and educators first in order to help stave off this massive public health crisis.”

Only about 85 of Colorado’s 178 school districts have closed. The majority of large districts have closed but there are still a significant number that have not closed. Some districts on spring break this week have yet to communicate a closure beyond their spring break period.

“The COVID-19 pandemic is clearly not slowing down in our state. Every parent, student and educator has good reason to worry that school could be a place where this disease can be contracted despite our best efforts. As long as this unprecedented threat looms over us, teaching and learning should not occur inside our school buildings. We call on Governor Polis to act decisively and encourage all Superintendents to close our public schools,” added Baca-Oehlert.

Baca-Oehlert reiterated CEA’s earlier calls for school districts to establish food service programs for all students in need, to compensate all dedicated school staff with the full pay and benefits they would normally receive during the school year, and for the Colorado Department of Education to reassess and waive standardized testing requirements for students.

# # #